Sunday, October 29, 2017

Back home

Vegas was not at all like I remembered a few years ago.
Traffic on the I-15 was as bad as LA and the road construction was everywhere.
Speaking of construction, everywhere you looked there were cranes in the air. They are building at a frantic pace. Adding to hotels, building factories, tilting up commercial buildings, every thing is booming.
And then there is this;
famous hooch.

Left Vegas on the scenic route..heh.
Once you come down off of the back side of the Sierras there is nada but brown grass and black beefs grazing brown grass, forever.
Nothing;
For a thousand miles.
If it wasn't for Waylon and Willie I would have went catatonic. But I do know all of the words to at least six CDs..so I got that going for me.
Took a side trip through Zion Park;


Stopped in Provo, Utah for the night did a drive around the next morning. College town, very college town. Nope.


Left there for Pocatello Idaho.
Nice place, I like it.
Way too much traffic in town, but it was a Saturday and doesn't everyone go to town on Saturday?
I found a nice gun shop (Sam's) in town and he pointed out a private range up the road, so I joined.
Thirty bucks and you get a key to the gate.
Found out the scope rings on the AR I took with me are too low. I know, "Didn't you check it after you mounted the glass, dumb ass?" Huh.
Still got a few rounds down range after some contortionist work.
Stayed in Pocatello checking prices of houses but most of the ads are for urban and I want to be in the sticks.
Left there for Reno. No more brown grass.
Spent the night in Reno and headed back up into the Sierras by way of the Carson Pass. No more brown grass.
I took a side trip to visit a couple of projects I was an inspector on for Caltrans;
Dorms/office at Peddler Hill.

Caples Lake garages.

While at Caples I went out the back road up into the woods to a spot we found years ago.
You can see a couple of caves into the rock face.
The bottom one was walled off into a rooms and a fire ring with a metal pot was at the mouth.
Story going around was it was a hideout, YMMV;


All of the roads, once you leave California, are smooth and very well maintained.
Nevada, Utah, and Idaho have great sections posted at 80MPH.
In Utah And Idaho the street signs are not illuminated. Dumb.
The drivers, once you leave Vegas or Reno, are sane and thoughtful, as opposed to the idiots here in Commiefornia...sigh.

Was a nice 2003 mile little walk about, I needed that.

Y'all be safe and take a kid shootin'. 




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like some 'narrowing down' was done. And we've ALL screwed up at least one set of scope rings... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caples Lake us just up-and-over the hill from here! Sounds like a good trip. The Nephew's in-laws moved out of Boulder Creek and up to Idaho a couple years ago, and now my sister wants to go too. Dirt-riding around the Sawtooths is amazing and good, and there are places to get away into the sticks. Never had much use for Reno except for the Gunblogger Rendezvous, but up and over from Tahoe is Genoa and Minden, and it's green at least.
    The scope rings on my 10/22 are the first I ever put-on and I spent so much time they went OK. All the other scopes came that way so it wasn't my fault!

    ReplyDelete